Sunday, May 16, 2010

10. Spring

retrieved from http://decideforyourself.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/spring2.jpg


Good afternoon the followers of my blog:P
As you can see as well, there has been an interruption in my blog. I postponed publishing a post, then the exams began and I had almost no time to write a proper blog. However, it is my fault. I should have managed my time:(

Anyway, blogging continues..


In this post I'd like to talk about the spring section of The Bluest Eye. It is the longest part of the novel. It includes lots of parts.

After I read the whole book, I realised something in the Spring section. Remember the part of the Spring section where Frieda and Claudia search Pecola to get some whiskey. When they find her, Pecola gets to know that they asked Miss Marie where Pecola was. They ask her again whether Pecola is scared of Miss Marie. Pecola says no. Then, she tells them that she is given some present by the whores; and adds that she got "jewelry and candy and money" and "pretty dresses, and shoes". The sisters react that that couldn't be true and that she doesn't have any pretty dresses (p.107). Pecola says that she does.

After reading the novel and take a brief look at its pages, I realised something: Pecola is obsessive about having what she doesn't have, which leads her to insanity. In the end, she goes mad. She thinks that she does have blue eyes.
In this part of the book (Spring section), I can also state that she think she has something, i.e. some pretty and pretentious stuff, given by three whores. Maybe her madness doesn't turn up in the end of the book and immediately, but has been present, in an intensive way or not, within her daily life. Yearning for anything so desperately and strongly affects her life entirely and, which is seen here obviously.

Its effects appear somewhere and somehow throughout her life.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting interpretation, Can. I had thought about that passage as well, but wasn't sure what to make of it. Yearning for things we cannot have, fantasising about them, could certainly form the basis of madness. Well done!

    p.s. thanks for reminding me of this post..

    ReplyDelete