Tuesday, April 27, 2010

9. Winter

retrieved from http://www.desktopexchange.com/gallery/albums/Nature-Wallpapers/winter_pictures3.jpg


Yes, it was winter in the novel and wehave discussed this section.


The key characters in this section are Maureen Peal and Geraldine&her psyco son Junior.

Maureen Peal is really annoying. At the beginnig, because Claudia and Frieda stay away from her and avoid any contact with her, I didn't like her either. However, after the conversation with Claudia, I feel sympathy to her. She would be nice and neat, I thought. After the dispute among the girls I turned back to continue to dislike her again. So, my like/time plot seems to be like a sinus curve..


And yesterday, I googled what a "Meringue Pie" is, and I realised that it was really a dessert! (as if I wouldn't have guessed. But I really didn't guess that it could be A special dessert) Here goes a picture. Remember, C&P resembles Maureen to this dessert.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meringue

And the sexual awakening part was interesting. I didn't notice it. My presentation includes the theme "adolesence and coming of age" though..

The Geraldine and her nerd son Junior part is annoying. I just can call Junior stupid! Almost everyone of us thought at first that he was going to show her a cute little pussy, but he did everything except showing it. He is absolutely a psyco. He wants to hurt other people.

Geraldine is a stubborn and posh person. Through her, we face another ugly side of discrimination. And this time, it comes from a black person. I always thought that discrimination against black people were by white's; nevertheless, now, it is also in my mind that such lighter blacks commit it, too.

The last thing to say: I really begin to think that blacks kill English language :)
"Them people be home soon." p.78
"You was gonna tel?" p.79

But this is probably because of their accent..

1 comment:

  1. A great post to read first thing in the morning.. :)

    Note the spelling of 'psycho'..Is Junior really a psycho? He is starved for love and affection from his mother, not allowed to have any friends and is confused about his identity. 'Psycho' seems a bit dismissive..

    The point about meringue *pie*, which your picture doesn't really convey, is that it's brown on the outside and white on the inside - in other words, it's a reference to Maureen's mixed race.

    Don't be too harsh on Geraldine. What Morrison is trying to show you is how black people internalise the hatred white people have of them, and this results in their prejudice towards people of their own race.

    Hmm, and you probably don't want to perpetuate the stereotype that black people murder the English language...Think of it as a dialect, a very rich dialect in fact. The dialogue in the novel is simply marvellous, and blacks have made huge contributions to the development of American English.

    ReplyDelete