Thursday, April 15, 2010

8. Autumn

retrieved from http://vie-peopleplusplaces.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/autumn_tree.jpg

We have began reading The Bluest Eye and already read the first chapter, namely, Autumn. To start with a book is hard. The beginnings of the books are always difficult to read because there has to pass some time to adapt to the book properly. So, we have read the first chapter. We have had a general image of the book.

I like mostly the ironies in a book and Morrison also uses ironies in her book. En example for example: Frieda and Pecola start having a conversation about Shirley Temple, who was a child actress at that time. Claudia doesn't like her so she doesn't say something to join. Later, however, she feels like she has to say something to others and she says "I like Jane Withers." , who was also a child actress.
You know, they suffer having these beauty subject in their lives and from this part of the story we can conclude that media at that time (and also today and also for the future) affects their beauty understanding and image of beauty in their minds. Consequently, they feel inferior. That is unfair. Do they have to be the way society wants?


Except from these, I also want to express my first impression to the book. I think it is a little melancholic. It began with sadness. Frictions and alienation within the families, lonely kids, troubled people. In some parts, we can feel the being-blue of the characters.


Well, we'll see what comes next:)

By the way, we also learned how to use wiki. I find this WIKI a great idea! If this web site was used properly and effectively, it woud absolutely be very beneficial. However, everything depends on our work here again..

4 comments:

  1. A very nice start on the novel, Can. You have definitely captured the mood of the story. And I think what you have pointed out is very important: that media from other ages also affected female children's conceptions of their own beauty. I think we tend to focus on media in more recent decades as if it had no power in the past. Plenty of more ironies to come! ;)

    A couple of language notes:
    1) En example for example... ? :)
    2) Don't confuse 'apart' and 'except' - here you should say 'apart from these'...

    I'm really very happy you have a good impression of the wiki. I am excited about how it will grow. I have lots of ideas for it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've set up a page in our wiki for blog posts, so I hope you'll link this one to it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. en example for example, I have just noticed it:) It looks funny :D:D

    and the media affect not only female children's conceptions of beauty but also that of male ones.. It affects everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I totally agree with you..and it's ubiquitous and inescapable.

    ReplyDelete