Friday, May 21, 2010

12. A Rose for Emily

retrieved from http://articles.annamariaislandlife.com/assets/images/onpage/Rose_Memorial_Community_Church.jpg *


The pub quiz is soon. And we should recall the texts we read. I took a brief look at them, there are some which I haven't blogged on. I have chosen the story "a Rose for Emily" for now.

A Rose for Emily - what a dark story, isn't it? Thoroughly dark..

OK, I have read that the place where Emily lives, Jefferson, is made up by William Faulkner. That is, Jefferson is his phantasy town. However, we can understand from the story that it might be in the south of the US.

Emily seems to be the main character in the story, nevertheless, the community also plays a big role! It is also a main character, so to say. We learn about Emily's life and attitude much, simultaneously about the community as well throughout the story. And besides, the community that gossips and delivers various rumors within itself exists everywhere on Earth, it doesn't matter the country or the state, I guess. :D

I am not sure whether Emily is black or not. I think she is not black. I derive it from the fact that her family is kind of rich in this country and as we know black families especially at that time couldn't own much property.
And if she isn't black, then I would expect from the commuunity to be more brutal on their attitude towards Emily. Because the fact a white woman has some close relationship with a black guy would be really more unacceptable yet than today. However, maybe Emily alienates herself from the community so the community in turn decides automatically on not interfering with her life so much, who knows?

There is also one point that should be noticed immediately and absolutely by us:D
The situation of blacks in the society. The men who were supposed to pave the sidewalks and Emily's servant are black.

And..

Faulkner uses the word "the Negro" when referring to the black servant. I hesitate whether he shows racism here but I think that a writer like he wouldn't be racist. Then why to use "the Negro"?


*About the picture: While reading the story, I imagine a typical American town on my mind and it reminds me of a typical church which is common in the USA that exists beyond Holywood movies.


2 comments:

  1. Can, Homer Baron was not black...he was a poor Northerner, that's why Emily's (white) Southern aristocratic family wouldn't allow her to marry him. A lot of prejudice existed at that time between North and South.

    Although nowadays we see 'the Negro' as a degrading expression, it really wasn't at the time, it was just sort of a factual reference.

    You're absolutely correct to perceive the community as a main character in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. I thought and even took a note that Homer Baron is black. That is because in text it says the pavement workers are black.. OK, good to know this now..

    ReplyDelete