Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2. Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/07_07/car_on_sidewalk_2.jpeg

This short story has placed among my favorites, I hardly read any good short story; but I liked this one. Especially, the register of it and the style of the author, Joyce Carol Oates, were honestly perfect. While reading the story, I felt the situation in myself (in my mind); I felt pitty for Connie at the end and a little disgust to Arnold for threatening her. However, his trials of persuading Connie to go out with him did not make me grimace. I think Oates admired me in this way because she used the technique of psychological realism.

In the story, the notable point was the music. Throughout the paragraphes, music was always in the foreground. I know that music is indispensable for everyone on Earth, nobody could lead a life without music. And this story also refreshed me that especially in the teenage period music is also very important to the adolescent.
I found Connie's little secret actions with boys around the mall sympathetic. Most of adolescents (think of our adolescence) tend to do such things. Connie's caring about her appearance made me smile, too. Again, from that age on, people start to pay more attention to their physical apperance.

One critic about Connie's sister, June: I did not like June-part of the story. I mean, Oates could also lave out the sister. Nevertheless, she wrote little description of her. That was not so necessary in the story, I think, like Connie's comparison to her sister, either. None of them made me understand the story more in details, to be honest. (I am only talking about the June part, not including the family-part)

And eventually, I can say that the guys in the car are just an imagination of Connie. You know, when you are in a bad mood and stay at home, it could be dangereous enough to cause hallucinations :D, like in the case of Connie. So, my advice is just not to stay at home, get your ass up, go out and call your friends for a walk or coffee when you feel frustrated and depressed. :)

4 comments:

  1. haha great post especially the last sentence =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first to write about this story. It is also one of my favourites.

    I don't think we got a chance to explore the possibility that Connie daydreamed Arnold (did we?), but certainly most critics agree with you: as Connie is lulled into sleep by the music, Arnold appears...

    A few language comments:
    Spelling: pity, paragraphs, critique

    Grammar/vocab:
    -Oates impressed you (perhaps?): You admire *someone*...
    -Oates could have left out the June-part
    -the guys in the car are just Connie's imagination
    -I was sympathetic to Connie's little secret actions
    -finally (not eventually)

    You of course also have impressive sentences, such as:
    Connie's caring about her appearance made me smile, too. Again, from that age on, people start to pay more attention to their physical apperance.

    Like Ayşe, I also liked the last line - I'll try that advice out myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your 'mistake-showing'-feedback Sonja.. :D

    I always thought that someone could admire someone else.. However I just learned that it was not true!

    I won't correct the original text so I can see where my mistake has been made.

    And we did not discuss whether all the action Connie experienced was real or not, but I think it is not real, just something like hallucination or as you say a 'daydream'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, someone can admire someone else...but for Oates to *admire you*, she would have to know you...see what I mean? You can admire Oates' writing, but she can only impress or affect you...

    That's a shame we couldn't finish our discussion...but there is an Oates study guide on SU Course with lots of interpretations if you're interested...

    ReplyDelete