Sunday, February 21, 2010

1.The Graduate


I liked the film the Graduate. The main reason for that is that it was shot in 60's. Nowadays I just interest in those years. Anyways..

I actually do not like Holywood movies (especially today ones) ; because they are homogeneous. However, this film differs from them. I think its reason is that it's an old one, in the past more serious/aesthetical movies were produced.

The soundtrack of the movie is great; although one song (Mrs. Robinson) was covered more than one time :D

About generation gap I can say: In life there is always a lack of understanding&empathy among people, so between the youth and the old ones the same thing exists as well. However, I find it alright that a generation gap exists. It is part of being a young and an old one. If you are a parent, than you of course want your kid to have the best; you want them to study, to seek a job etc. On the other hand, the young one'd like to do something else. As a result, such a gap is likely to emerge. However, as I said, I blame nobody for having that gap, more precisely, I do not get angry about Benjamin's dad or about Benjamin himself. I find this situation natural.


I did not see any devaluation of youth in the movie, did I? We should discuss this in the lesson.. I only remember the scene where Benjamin decided to attend the wedding as a guest. There, the receptionists treat Benjamin as if he is only a naiv, young person. Their gestures show their thoughts about the boy clearly. Young people are always seen as naiv and inept(I am not sure whether this adjective goes here..)

I really angry about Benjamin revealing his relationship with Mrs. Robinson to Eileen. That is a bad mistake to make. If you have a secret, you must keep it. It doesn't matter how much you get angry or disappointed. Maybe Benjamin will learn later how to react in such situations, he is unexperienced and knowing-nothnig at this age anyway(!)

The last scene where Benjamin escapes Eileen reminded me of our old Turkish movies. In them, the man also escapes the bride in the last minute and from the wedding-hall :D Besides, if I were Eileen, I wouldn't go with Benjamin. He did not do anything for making Eileen come back to him. However, at the end, she just seems happy to be with him. That is not realistic, I think.

And consequently, Eileen's screams fascinated me a lot :D

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/images/2007/08/13/the_graduate_386x470.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Your post is full of material to comment on, as usual.

    Firstly, my mistake on the handout: Elaine, not Eileen, sorry about that!

    You rightly point out that hotel scene (a brilliant scene by the way); can you not also see that same treatment of Benjamin by his parents and by the Robinsons? We will definitely discuss this in class. (naive, not naiv).

    Why do you think Benjamin revealed his secret to Elaine? Remember the circumstances of that scene...(*in*experienced rather than *un*).

    Yes! You picked up on the artificiality of Benjamin's and Elaine's 'escape'. What do you think the director was trying to say there? Remember how the expressions on their faces change as they sit in the back of the bus...?

    I can't wait for our class discussion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe as Benjamin started to love Elaine, he felt a guilty conscience growing in himself:) that could be the reason why he revealed the secret to her.

    yes, his parents are also a little unsympathetic towards him throughout the movie.

    I cannot remember the bus scene exactly now.. we will talk this in the discussion lesson..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get angry with Benjamin=( He had to reveal the secret because, Mrs.Robinson threatened Ben to tell everything to Elian. So, he had to share this embarrasing story with Elian.

    ReplyDelete