Friday, October 30, 2009

Honesty


I always emphasize being honest in life. We should express our own ideas&thoughts clearly and accurately. Everyone could think about something in different ways and we all should be respectful to new and different ideas&thoughts.

AND:

I want to say something about our process essay topic's (Reality TV) arguments. We were supposed to read three arguments assigned from our instructors. And as I have chosen the first topic, Reality TV, I have read the arguments of Rushdie, Poniewozik and Peters again. However, to be honest, these arguments are really boring to read in my opinion. The topic is great and interesting: Reality TV is an actual subject to talk about. But they, especially Poniewozik's report, would have made me fall asleep. Although I love reading, I could not read them with any enjoyment.

The reason why I thought they are dead-boring could be their register and their context. They are cut out from some newspapers published in UK and in the USA. In each argument, the writer gives examples and talks about current events in his country. Poniewozik, for example, many times mentions the Reality TV programms which we, Turkish students, are not familiar with. (like "... focusing on convincing the Olsen twins ..." or "And like an overheated NASDAQ, ..." ) There are so many names and events which we have no idea about. We don't follow the American media. We don't know exactly what is going on in American channels or newspapers. I find it useful when there are some examples in the argument but if there are too much of them, the text could become boring and unenjoyable. But in our arguments, the writer doesn't seem to give examples to us but he seems to write to the people who know what's up nowadays in the USA. I don't know what American people talk about or experience in their daily life these days. However, our three authors write as if we (the undergraduates of Sabancı Uni.) know all the popular and famous stuff in their land.
Conclusion: For this time, the audience and the writer are totally from another universe. Although the subject is mutual and common, the context is the opposite.

8 comments:

  1. Well Can, this is a classic example of audience (remember I've been telling you to consider your audience?) Obviously, the writers are aiming at an American audience, as you say. That's because the texts are written in English and by Americans. You're not expected to know every cultural reference, but to identify the broad outlines of the arguments. You have to extrapolate the main ideas from the context. The writers are not aiming at you; they don't even know you exist...!

    There are a number of texts on SU Course written by Turks about reality TV in Turkey, which I recommend you read if you want examples you can identify more closely with. They are in the folder called "Extra reading texts". And of course you are welcome to brainstorm your own examples from your own experience.

    Happy reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Can,

    Firstly i was in the same mood with you. And than i googled this programmes witch mentioned in the text and learned their details. And than i compared that with Turkish Reality shows. It became useful and enjoyable. And i also mentioned at one of my post http://aysesen.blogspot.com/2009/10/22-about-reality-shows . If you want , you can read. Reading another people belongs to bizarre culture , is nice for comparing our country with world.

    I want to say another thing.
    This situtation which i am going to highlight is make me really happy.
    We can mention directly and honestly our thoughts to each other in class. Thank you Can , for your honesty and bravery, and thank you Sonja, for your understanding ^^

    I am fan of this occasion and it is really nice to see that even in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to see somebody who has also noticed what I have noticed :)

    And Sonja, I guess that it is not a problem if we state our thoughts honestly and maybe sometimes critisize what we do in the lesson, or is it? I thought that this post would have made you get angry, but on the contrary, you look calm :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could it possibly make me angry? This is your blog, your thoughts, and your ideas are not personal attacks on me. :) And yes, I definitely want to encourage you to criticise (by providing reasons so your audience can understand where you're coming from). A critical mind is a thinking mind, that's my motto... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since it's honesty time Can, I read only the first paragraph of this. And I lose my interest because it's too long man. But loved the picture and i back you up %100 at the first paragraph =).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got curious after reading sonja's first comment and I read what Can wrote. Firstly Sonja, could you explain me what does "they don't even know you exist...!" mean? They don't know that humans outside America exist? Secondly, I don't think this blog is about saying bad stuff too all that writers, because of course they would write to american society. What I get from Can is that maybe we should have read some other articles that has more stuff we know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mbo,

    I hope your question is a joke...? What it means is that when Poniewozik and Peters sat down to write their articles, they didn't say to themselves, "Hmm, I wonder if any Turkish students from Sabancı University will read my text one day?"

    One of the paradoxes of studying English in Turkey is that the texts we read are bound to be aimed at English-speaking audiences. That's because language, to a large degree, equals culture. When I read newspaper articles in Turkish, the examples are about Turkey. That helps us learn about each other's cultures.

    I hope this satisfies your curiosity...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was trying to exaggrate =). And I understand that we need to read articles like these and i aggree with you. I just wrote what I uderstand from Can's blog.
    By the way, I laughed a lot when I read your first paragraph =).

    ReplyDelete