Thursday, November 12, 2009

ENG 101

Time goes by so quickly! Unbelievable..

This year is my first year at Sabancı University, so I was wondering how the English lessons would be at Sabancı. Now, I can say something about our English lessons:) When I look back upon what we have done, I can say:

We haven't done something much to prove our English. I mean, we have read some stories, yes, but what about the vocabulary? I am of the opinion that someone who is learning a language should learn vocabulary permanently. It does not matter how good their English is, a learner always continues learning something and learning vocabulary never stops. And in order to express our thoughts properly in English, we should have an extensive vocabulary.

I don't say that we should write down all the words from the text like in the prep class, but we should do for example such a thing. Let's suppose we have a lesson about Reality TV. It would be very great and useful, if we notice some important and key words of the theme. I dont know, I think so..

Secondly, ENG 101 have teached me how to write an academic essay and how to cite, refer etc. I have learned about plagiarism here. It is very important because we will write essays constantly during our university life. As a conclusion, I can say that ENG 101 has taught and showed me techniqual issues.

And finally, I insist that we should do some pronunciation practise. Everyone could write or read something in English one way or another; however everyone cannot pronunciate(or even speak) well and properly. Speaking differs from reading and writing. So Sonja hear me about that!!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Can,
    I guess I did indeed miss this post.
    About vocabulary...are you noting down new words and expressions you find in the texts/stories we read? I'm not sure if you're saying we should do explicit vocabulary lessons or not, but I do feed in new words when we have class discussions: 'ubiquitous' would be one example. I certainly hope you are noting down and organising new words as you read. This is what we expect at Freshman level.

    I also correct pronunciation in class - again, I'm not quite sure who or what you're referring to. In our class, for example, I have corrected the pronunciation of 'parentheses' several times. Are you saying we should do a pronunciation lesson?

    English 101 'has taught' you - not 'teached'. I'm happy you have learned something about essay writing. I agree with you that it's one of the most important skills in your university life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sonja,

    We don't do much about vocabulary. "ubiquitious" is just one single word:) we should write down more words that could be connected to the theme of our lessons. If we for example started a brainstorm in the class about the theme of the day, various words would come up in our minds and so we could notice them.

    And I think all of us make pronunciation mistakes while speaking. You could also say something about our pron. mistakes after we have spoke during the lesson (In my opinion, you could indeed interrupt us while we are speaking). Just let us know about our mistakes, that'd be great. What sounds awkward when we talk? What are the noticable mistakes? (not only about pron. but about everything)"Paranthesis" is one of those. So in short, everybody learns from their mistakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ops, my "parentheses" was wrong above :))

    ReplyDelete